Since LASIK is considered a cosmetic rather than medically necessary procedure, most vision insurance plans don’t cover it. While paying out of pocket can seem like a barrier to LASIK, the benefits often outweigh the cost. If you’re considering LASIK surgery, the Northeastern Eye Institute has financing options to make enjoying corrected vision easy. Call 800-334-2233 to schedule a free LASIK consultation.
What LASIK Does for Your Vision
LASIK is a refractive surgery that can correct the following vision problems:
- Nearsightedness (myopia)
- Farsightedness (hyperopia)
By reducing or eliminating your dependence on glasses and contact lenses, the procedure can save you hundreds of dollars each year on corrective vision alternatives.
Additional Benefits of LASIK Surgery
Maybe you’re someone who doesn’t mind wearing glasses and contacts. You don’t think contacts are a hassle, and you like the way glasses make you look. What can LASIK do for you? Beyond correcting refractive vision errors, LASIK has a surprising number of additional benefits:
- Enhanced quality of life: Glasses can sit on your face at awkward angles, causing headaches and sinus pressure. During allergy season, contacts can exacerbate eye itching, redness and irritation.
- Better nighttime vision: Street and car lights can reflect off your lenses when you drive at night, and your contacts can be dry and cause fuzzy vision at the end of the day.
- Clearer vision all around: Since glasses don’t wrap around your head, you may notice reduced peripheral vision when wearing them. LASIK improves your peripheral and straight-ahead vision. LASIK can also give you additional lines of site and improve vision clarity, which glasses and contacts only partially correct.
Nearly 40 million people have undergone LASIK surgery, and 96 percent of people achieve their desired vision results with LASIK. A quick and comfortable procedure, LASIK provides lasting results that allow you to see and live freely.
Factors That Affect the Cost of LASIK
At Northeastern Eye Institute, we take advantage of the latest technological advances to offer you LASIK options that fit a wide range of health needs and patient goals, including:
- Custom LASIK
- Intralase or bladeless LASIK
- iDesign LASIK
If you’ve seen or heard an advertisement quoting a certain LASIK price, know that pricing can vary greatly depending on the technique and technology used. The severity of your vision errors will further affect the cost.
Before you write off LASIK as being too expensive, contact the Northeastern Eye Institute. During your free LASIK consultation, our eye doctors can help you discover what your individualized procedure would cost.
Paying for Your LASIK Surgery
While your insurance may not cover LASIK surgery, there are ways to make the procedure more affordable. This includes:
- Health Savings Account (HSA): If you have an HSA as part of a high-deductible insurance plan, you can set aside money for LASIK tax-free. Since HSA money rolls over each year, you may be able to save up enough over time to pay for your procedure in full.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): If your employer offers an FSA, you can use it to set aside money for out-of-pocket health care needs tax-free. Since this money does not roll over at the end of the year, consider using it before it’s gone to help pay for the cost of your LASIK surgery.
- CareCredit®: The Northeastern Eye Institute offers long-term and no-interest financing plans through CareCredit, so you can pay off your surgery is small installments rather than all at once.
Some eye doctors advertise bargain LASIK prices to get patients in the door, but you may not be eligible for these prices if you have anything more than mild refractive errors. The initial price likely doesn’t cover added fees either.
Even if the final price doesn’t include hidden costs, you should question why it’s so low. Is the surgeon inexperienced? Are they using outdated technology? What quality of aftercare and follow-up is provided?
LASIK surgery, while a relatively simple procedure, does affect the future of your vision. Take the time to find a qualified eye doctor who puts your health and safety first.
Get LASIK in Northeastern Pennsylvania
To schedule a free LASIK consultation with one of our eye doctors, call 800-334-2233 or fill out the form on this page. We serve patients in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hazelton and throughout northeastern Pennsylvania.