What is Visian ICL?
While LASIK remains the most popular treatment to correct vision issues such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism, the procedure isn’t right for everyone. There are several reasons why you may not be a good LASIK candidate, such as having very thin corneas or a severe vision prescription. In these situations, Visian ICL provides you with an effective alternative that will eliminate your dependence on glasses and contact lenses.
This procedure is an excellent option for individuals who are nearsighted or have astigmatism. Our ophthalmologists can achieve comparable results with Visian ICL as they can with LASIK, making it a popular alternative to laser eye surgery.
How Does Visian ICL Work?
LASIK uses a laser to reshape your cornea so that light focuses properly on your retina. Visian ICL, on the other hand, doesn’t use a laser to correct your vision. Instead, the procedure involves implanting a collamer lens into your eye to restore clear vision.
Visian ICL works just like a contact lens, except the collamer lens used with this procedure is permanently implanted into your eye. This eliminates the need to put in contacts every morning, and you’ll be able to throw away all those bulky bottles of contact lens solution once and for all.
You’ll experience a variety of benefits from Visian ICL, including:
- Wider treatment range than any other refractive surgery procedure – Visian ICL can restore clear vision even when your prescription is too severe to achieve excellent results with LASIK.
- Improved distance vision – FDA clinical studies have found that over 95% of Visian ICL patients achieve 20/40 vision or better. This level of vision will eliminate your dependence on glasses.
- UV protection – The collamer lens provides some protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. While it is still recommended that you wear UV-rated sunglasses when you are out in the sun, you will receive a certain amount of protection if you forget your sunglasses on occasion.
- Reversible – In contrast to LASIK which permanently reshapes your cornea, you can always have the implantable collamer lens removed from your eye if you aren’t happy with the results. In addition, you can replace the lens with an upgrade down the road if technology improves or your prescription changes.
- Quick, painless procedure – You’ll experience a short recovery and healing time after your procedure.
The Visian ICL Procedure
The Visian ICL procedure is quick and painless. Numbing drops are administered prior to the procedure to ensure maximum comfort. A tiny incision is made in order for our doctors to insert the lens. The collagen-polymer material used for the ICL is very flexible, allowing it to be folded up while it’s inserted into your eye. It gently unfolds again once it has been placed in your eye.
The ICL won’t be visible to others, and you won’t feel it on your eye. There is no special maintenance or care required of the ICL after the procedure. Our eye doctors will provide you with special drops that will facilitate a proper recovery, and we’ll monitor your healing during a follow-up visit.
Your vision should improve rather quickly after the procedure, and you should be able to see well enough to resume all normal activities the next day. You may experience some slight fluctuations in vision for a week or two. This is natural and your vision will stabilize once your eyes have healed.
Contact our Northeastern Pennsylvania Eye Doctors
Please contact Northeastern Eye Institute using the form on this page or call 855-204-6888 today to schedule your free consultation. We serve patients in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania.