View a Live LASIK Seminar and receive $500 OFF
For your chance to save $500, attend one of our upcoming seminars. Registration is free!
You're Invited to These Events
Custom, Bladeless LASIK with the Latest iDesign Technology - featuring a live LASIK procedure
Monday, August 19, 6 PM at
Northeastern Eye Institute
200 Mifflin Ave.
Scranton, PA 18503
Tom Boland, M.D.
Attendees Receive $500 OFF! Come find out if you are a candidate.
Northeastern Eye Institute regularly conducts the following events and seminars at our main office in Scranton, PA:
- LIVE LASIK Procedure Viewings
- Custom, Bladeless LASIK Seminars for potential patients
- Cataract Surgery Seminars for all ages
- Continuing Education Seminars for Eye Doctors
- Trunk Shows by the latest designers for the latest in eyewear & sunwear
- Participation in local community events and seminars.
Attendees at our LASIK Seminars receive $500 OFF their LASiK procedure.
Please visit this page regularly or call 800-334-2233 to find out more about our upcoming seminars.
If you're tired of the hassles associated with glasses and contact lenses, then LASIK may be an excellent option. LASIK is one of the most popular laser vision correction solutions available, and it is highly effective at correcting the following refractive vision errors:
- Nearsightedness (myopia)
- Farsightedness (hyperopia)
Over 40 million people around the world have experienced the benefits of LASIK. In fact, LASIK has one of the highest satisfaction rates of any surgical procedure, with more than 96% of patients reporting that they are happy with their results. Clear vision is right at your fingertips. Find out how LASIK can change your life.
Northeastern Eye Institute (NEI) has been providing comprehensive eye care services since 1984. Our LASIK surgeons are among the best-informed and most highly trained ophthalmologists in the field. The surgeons at NEI have collectively performed thousands of successful laser vision correction procedures, and we can help you achieve the clear vision you desire.
The best way to determine whether LASIK is the right procedure for your unique needs is to speak with our doctors in person. Please call 800-334-2233 today to schedule a free LASIK consultation. For the convenience of our patients, we have 15 offices throughout the Northeastern Pennsylvania area.
- What is LASIK?
- Am I a LASIK Candidate?
- Custom LASIK
- Intralase (Bladeless LASIK)
- iDesign LASIK
- Financing for your LASIK Procedure
- Why Choose NEI for you Laser Vision Correction?
- Contact our Northeastern Pennsylvania Eye Surgeons
What is LASIK?
LASIK is a surgical procedure that reshapes your eye's cornea using a laser. Once your cornea is reshaped, it will be able to focus light more clearly on your retina, which will improve the quality of your vision. The vast majority of LASIK patients are able to eliminate the need for glasses or contacts.
The most important benefit you'll receive from LASIK is vastly improved vision. However, you'll also experience a variety of lifestyle benefits associated with your newfound ability to see clearly:
- Seeing clearly from the moment you wake up without the need to fumble for your glasses or put in contact lenses
- Significant reduction in the amount of money spent on eyewear (or in many instances, eliminating this expenditure altogether)
- Ability to participate in your favorite athletic activities without using corrective eyewear
- Streamlining your travel bag (no need to carry around contact lens solutions everywhere you go)
- Eliminating discomfort from allergic reactions to contact lenses and solutions
- Avoiding any potential damage to your eyes that may occur as a result of long-term contact lens use
- Increased eligibility for careers that require clear vision without corrective lenses
Am I a LASIK Candidate?
Unfortunately, not everyone is a good candidate for LASIK. During your consultation, our ophthalmologists will carefully evaluate the condition of your eyes in order to determine whether LASIK is the best laser vision correction option for you.
In general, ideal LASIK candidates:
- Are over the age of 18
- Have stable vision for at least one year prior to surgery
- Are free of diseases impacting the cornea or retina
- Do not have any general health issues that may impact the eyes
- Have sufficient corneal thickness to accommodate the creation of a LASIK flap
- Do not have any scarring on the cornea
Fortunately, there are a variety of LASIK alternatives that can help you achieve comparable results if you're not a suitable candidate for LASIK. Depending on your unique situation, our ophthalmologists may recommend one of the following alternatives:
Your vision is unique. It is as individual as your fingerprint or your DNA. As a result, there's no way that a standardized LASIK procedure can achieve the best possible results for all people. Instead, the best way to ensure the precision and accuracy required to achieve clear vision is to customize the procedure based on the unique nuances of your refractive vision errors.
Custom LASIK represents a significant advance from traditional laser vision technology. It allows our eye doctors to correct for higher order aberrations such as glare and halos in addition to treating conventional refractive vision errors such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
As implied by the name, custom LASIK gives our ophthalmologists the ability to tailor your laser vision correction procedure to the unique contours of your eyes. Due to the detail provided by a 3D wavefront map of your eye, custom LASIK results in the best possible outcome and reduces the risk of potential complications. In most instances, 20/20 vision or better can be achieved with custom LASIK.
Custom LASIK Technology
VISX WaveScan® is a form of technology that historically has been used in space telescopes. VISX WaveScan® provides our eye surgeons with a map of the unique characteristics and patterns of your eye. This map enables our doctors to determine a customized treatment pattern that is unique to your eyes:
- VISX WaveScan® technology measures your vision up to 25 times more precisely than traditional methods used to measure vision for conventional eyewear.
- VISX® CustomVue™ technology is an FDA-approved technology that enables our ophthalmologists to correct your vision even more precisely than ever before.
- If our eye doctors feel it is beneficial, they may choose to provide you with a PreVue® Lens during the consultation. The PreVue® Lens enables you to view an approximation of your potential corrected vision prior to treatment; however, it is not meant to be predictive of your actual result.
Benefits of choosing this more advanced procedure include:
- Night vision is up to four times better than what can be achieved with a traditional LASIK procedure
- Re-treatment rates are significantly lower
- Automated tracking and centering provides enhanced accuracy
- Preserves more eye tissue
- Minimizes treatment time
"After a custom LASIK procedure at Northeastern Eye Institute, my vision improved to the point where I could qualify to be a fighter pilot. Not bad when you consider I couldn't drive without wearing my glasses before that..."
— DJ Dave DiRienzo
Intralase (Bladeless LASIK)
Creation of the corneal flap is the first step in a LASIK procedure, and the use of an excimer laser to treat the underlying corneal tissue is the second step. Traditionally, the flap is created using a microkeratome, which is a sophisticated surgical instrument with a very precise oscillating blade.
In rare cases, microkeratome use has led to less-than-perfect flap creation, including:
- Uneven flap edges which in turn can lead to an irregular corneal surface and a certain amount of astigmatism
- Incomplete flaps, known as buttonhole flaps, which can lead to small scars
At NEI, we offer the Intralase Method™ for creating the corneal flap. This is a blade-free technique where, instead of using a microkeratome, we use a cool laser which emits microscopically tiny pulses of light.
Each pulse of light travels through the outer surface of the cornea to a predetermined depth and creates a tiny bubble. Thousands of bubbles are formed according to the specific treatment plan devised by your NEI eye surgeon. The effect of these bubbles is to loosen corneal tissue, allowing it to be dislodged.
Because the bubbles can be placed very precisely, they create a thinner and smoother flap than can be created with a microkeratome. Whereas a microkeratome separates the flap in a straight line, the Intralase laser can create it in a curved contour that matches your eye. The resulting improvement in your vision is more predictable.
Since the Intralase laser creates a thinner flap, it enlarges the pool of good LASIK candidates. If you have previously been told that your corneas are too thin for a LASIK procedure, you may now be able to enjoy the benefits of vision correction through Intralase.
You can learn more about Intralase technology by reading this article.
The iLASIK procedure combines advanced custom laser vision correction with IntraLase technology to produce clearer vision and better clinical outcomes than can be achieved when these technologies are used separately.
iLASIK uses tried-and-trusted wavefront technology to correct vision – the same technology used by scientists at NASA and other agencies for space research and exploration. All branches of the U.S. military, plus NASA, recently allowed their servicemen and women to undergo laser vision correction to correct their vision as a result of clinical studies performed using iLASIK technology.
The iDesign system is an advanced, FDA-approved LASIK method that provides an extraordinarily clear and detailed image of your eye. This image provides our experienced eye surgeons with an invaluable tool we can use to safely address your vision problems – in fact, most iDesign patients achieve at least 20/16 vision.
This revolutionary new system generates a high definition scan of your eye and its contours using technology that will be a part of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope. iDesign creates more than 1,200 micro readings of the eye, capturing the shape and curvature of your cornea, as well as observing how well light passes through the pupil under different conditions.
The measurements provided by the iDesign system will be used to create a blueprint for your LASIK procedure. All of this technology achieves a very significant improvement over other LASIK mapping tools. With iDesign, we can see details of your eye that have never before been available to us. Clinical studies have found that iDesign patients report high levels of satisfaction as well as observable improvements in vision.
Financing for your LASIK Procedure
At Northeastern Eye Institute, we realize that many patients choose not to undergo laser vision correction due to the cost and lack of financing options available. For this reason, we offer our patients affordable prices for laser vision correction as well as long-term financing plans, including 0% interest financing, to help make this life-changing procedure affordable and accessible to everyone.
Unlike some laser vision correction facilities, we do not offer unrealistically low prices simply to get you in the door, then present you with a bill that is several times the amount you were initially quoted. At Northeastern Eye Institute, everything is quoted upfront without any hidden costs. We are an ethical and patient-friendly organization that has served the community for decades.
You can also take advantage of your Flex Spending Account (FSA) to pay for your LASIK procedure. The advantage of using your FSA is that it allows you to pay for your procedure using pre-tax dollars. This will ultimately save you a significant amount of money on your laser vision correction surgery.
You can use your flex spending account for much more than just LASIK. It can also cover:
However, it is important to remember that many of these programs are on a “Use It or Lose It” basis. If you don’t use your flex spend dollars by year-end, you could lose the benefit. Please check with your employer to see if they participate in FSA account program and how much you have available.
Why Choose NEI for your Laser Vision Correction
NEI has been a pioneer in the laser vision correction field in Northeastern Pennsylvania on many fronts:
- First to offer radial keratotomy (RK)
- First to introduce the excimer laser, the tool used for laser vision correction, to Northeastern Pennsylvania
- First to offer photo-refractive keratectomy (PRK), the first laser-based vision correction procedure
- First center in this area to offer this technology to treat farsightedness
- First in the area to introduce Conductive Keratoplasty (CK), a procedure designed to end or greatly reduce your need for reading glasses
- First LASIK provider in Northeastern Pennsylvania to offer iDesign LASIK, the most advanced laser vision correction technology available
- NEI introduced Custom Vision Correction (VISX® CustomVue™), a new and advanced form of laser vision correction that uses Wavefront technology to produce vision that could be even better than what you see with glasses or contact lenses
In addition, Northeastern Eye Institute has the largest network of offices and experienced eye care physicians in Northeastern Pennsylvania:
- Northeastern Eye Institute offers patients a choice of two Board certified ophthalmologists who can perform your laser vision correction procedure
- The Board certified LASIK surgeons at Northeastern Eye Institute have collectively performed thousands of successful laser vision correction procedures – in fact, this is the highest number of procedures performed in Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Northeastern Eye Institute’s network of 15 offices enables patients to have their consultation, pre-procedure evaluation and follow-up care close to their home or place of work
- Northeastern Eye Institute is affiliated with over 100 local optometrists, each certified to provide pre- and post-operative care for laser vision correction patients.
The key to successful laser vision correction is to educate yourself about the procedure fully. This is why Northeastern Eye Institute offers numerous resources to obtain objective and trustworthy information about laser vision correction:
- Attend a FREE LASIK Seminar including the opportunity to watch a live LASIK procedure
- Schedule a complimentary, personalized consultation with an eye doctor
- Request a FREE brochure by mail
- Browse this website to learn more about their desired procedure
Contact our Northeastern Pennsylvania Eye Surgeons
If you're interested in LASIK, please contact Northeastern Eye Institute using the form on this page or call 800-334-2233 today to schedule a free consultation. We serve patients in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hazelton and throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania.